Sublimation on Glitter – The Next Big Thing?
Sublimation (AKA dye-sub) has been around for many, many years. it’s been used to make some of the wildest motocross jerseys, soccer jerseys, and even mouse pads and mugs. If you’re not familiar with dye-sub, look to the kiosks in your local mall. If there’s a kiosk that takes your photo and applies it to a mug or a puzzle or a mousepad, chances are that the proprietor is using sublimation. If you’ve ever seen a motocross jersey that’s totally covered in a custom print, that’s sublimation as well. How about the cosplayer at Comic Con wearing the perfect Spiderman or Batman costume? Also sublimation! The major downside to sublimation is that for garment printing, you have to apply to polyester. What if you want to sublimate on cotton or dark garments? What if you want an effect like glitter? Well, in the past, the answer would be “Sorry!” Thankfully, those days are gone! Siser® makes a Glitter heat transfer vinyl that is perfect for sublimating on! The process is simple:
- Cut just the shape of your design using Siser Glitter HTV.
- Print the graphic of your design using a sublimation printer and transfer paper.
- Tack the Glitter shape to your garment for 1-2 seconds at the temperature required for the transfer paper.
- Peel the carrier from Glitter while it’s hot.
- Lay the printed transfer paper over the top of your Glitter shape.
- Cover with a cover sheet and heat apply with a heat press. Sublimation usually requires a high temperature and a long dwell time.
- After application, peel away the transfer to reveal your awesome design!
Combining sublimation and Siser Glitter opens up new avenues in decoration. Cheer, dance, and fashion designs will never be the same! If you currently sublimate, call a Siser Authorized Distributor and get your hands on some Glitter – there’s no limit to what you can create! Siser has several Glitter colors that work well with this process, including the neon colors and white. To see the process in action, check out the video below and share your comments.